Welcome to the delicious world of Southern comfort food! In this article, we’ll explore the mouthwatering combination of Southern Buttermilk Biscuits and Sausage Gravy. Whether you’re a fan of hearty breakfasts or simply crave some Southern flavors, this classic dish is sure to satisfy your taste buds. Get ready to indulge in flaky homemade biscuits smothered in creamy sausage gravy, all made right in your own kitchen!
If you’re looking for a traditional Southern breakfast recipe, Biscuits and Gravy is a must-try. This beloved dish has been passed down through generations, and it’s no wonder whyâit’s a true Southern comfort food that warms both the heart and the stomach. Perfectly suitable for breakfast, brunch, or even a cozy dinner, Southern Buttermilk Biscuits and Sausage Gravy will quickly become a favorite in your home.
- Southern Buttermilk Biscuits and Sausage Gravy is a classic Southern recipe for a hearty and delicious breakfast or brunch.
- This comforting dish combines flaky homemade biscuits with creamy sausage gravy.
- It’s a versatile recipe that appeals to both kids and adults, making it a crowd-pleaser.
- Making buttermilk biscuits and sausage gravy from scratch is easier than you think, and the result is well worth it.
- Serve Southern Buttermilk Biscuits and Sausage Gravy alongside eggs, bacon, or fried chicken for a complete Southern breakfast experience.
Grandma's Southern Biscuits and Sausage Gravy Recipe.
This recipe for Grandma’s Southern Biscuits and Sausage Gravy is a family favorite that has been passed down for generations. Our family gathers around the table, eagerly awaiting the warm and comforting flavors of this beloved dish. The best part? It’s quick and easy to make, requiring only a few simple ingredients. Let me share with you the secrets to recreating this classic Southern recipe in your own kitchen.
First, let’s start with the biscuits.
Ingredients for homemade biscuits:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat your oven to 425Â°F (220Â°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the cold cubed butter to the flour mixture. Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to cut the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pour in the buttermilk and gently stir until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead it a few times until it comes together.
- Roll out the dough to about 1/2-inch thickness.
- Use a biscuit cutter to cut out biscuits and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool slightly before serving.
While the biscuits are baking, let’s move on to the delicious sausage gravy.
Ingredients for homemade sausage gravy:
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, cook the breakfast sausage over medium heat until browned and cooked through. Use a wooden spoon to break it into small pieces.
- Sprinkle the flour over the cooked sausage and stir until it’s well combined.
- Pour in the milk gradually while stirring constantly. Continue cooking and stirring until the gravy thickens.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the gravy simmer for a few more minutes until it reaches your desired consistency.
“The aroma of the sausage gravy fills the kitchen, creating an inviting atmosphere that brings everyone together. We can’t help but get excited for what’s to come.”
Now that the biscuits are baked and the sausage gravy is thick and flavorful, it’s time to bring it all together.
Place a warm homemade biscuit on a plate and generously ladle the sausage gravy over the top. The biscuits should be tender and flaky, soaking up the creamy and savory gravy. Each bite is a taste of Southern comfort that warms the soul.
*Image depicting Grandma’s Southern Biscuits and Sausage Gravy recipe*
Enjoy this family favorite recipe for breakfast or brunch, and watch as it becomes an instant hit in your household. The combination of homemade biscuits and quick and easy sausage gravy is a testament to the heartwarming flavors of Southern cooking.
Variations and Serving Suggestions:
The beauty of this recipe is its versatility. Here are some variations and serving suggestions to elevate your experience:
|Add a touch of spice
|Sprinkle some red pepper flakes or a dash of hot sauce on top of the sausage gravy for an extra kick of flavor.
|Swap the breakfast sausage for vegetarian sausage or crumbled tofu to create a vegetarian version of this classic dish.
|Top with fried eggs
|Fry some eggs and place them on top of the sausage gravy-covered biscuits for a hearty and complete breakfast.
|Pair with Southern sides
|Serve your Grandma’s Southern Biscuits and Sausage Gravy with crispy bacon, scrambled eggs, and grits for a traditional Southern breakfast spread.
How to Make Buttermilk Biscuits and Sausage Gravy from Scratch.
Making buttermilk biscuits and sausage gravy from scratch is easier than you may think. With a few simple ingredients and some basic techniques, you can create a comforting and delicious homemade meal. Here’s how to do it:
Ingredients for Buttermilk Biscuits:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Butter or vegetable shortening
Instructions for Buttermilk Biscuits:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the chilled butter or shortening and use a pastry cutter or your hands to cut it into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the center and pour in the buttermilk.
- Gently stir until the dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it a few times until it becomes smooth.
- Roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch thick and cut out the biscuits using a biscuit cutter or a round glass.
- Place the biscuits on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven at 450Â°F for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
Ingredients for Sausage Gravy:
- Ground breakfast sausage
- All-purpose flour
- Black pepper
Instructions for Sausage Gravy:
- In a skillet, cook the ground breakfast sausage over medium heat until browned and cooked through. Remove the cooked sausage from the skillet, leaving behind the drippings.
- Reduce the heat to low and sprinkle the flour, salt, and black pepper into the drippings. Stir well to create a roux.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, ensuring there are no lumps.
- Cook the gravy over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens and reaches your desired consistency.
- Add the cooked sausage back into the gravy and stir until well combined.
Once the biscuits are baked and the gravy is ready, serve the biscuits hot and split them in half. Ladle the sausage gravy generously over each biscuit half and enjoy the comforting flavors of homemade buttermilk biscuits and sausage gravy. It’s the perfect dish to warm your soul and satisfy your taste buds.
|Butter or vegetable shortening
|Ground breakfast sausage
|All-purpose flour (for the gravy)
|Salt (for the gravy)
|Black pepper (for the gravy)
Tips and Variations for Southern Buttermilk Biscuits and Sausage Gravy.
Here are some helpful tips and creative variations to take your Southern Buttermilk Biscuits and Sausage Gravy to the next level:
Tips for Perfect Biscuits:
- Use chilled butter or vegetable shortening to achieve flaky biscuits.
- Handle the dough lightly to avoid overmixing, which can result in tough biscuits.
- For extra flavor, add shredded cheese, chopped herbs, or cooked bacon to the dough.
Variations on Sausage Gravy:
- Swap out the regular sausage for spicy or maple-flavored sausage to add a twist to the gravy.
- Add diced onions, bell peppers, or mushrooms to the gravy for a flavor-packed upgrade.
- For a healthier option, substitute turkey sausage and skim milk in the gravy recipe.
Here are a few serving ideas to complement your biscuits and gravy:
- Serve with fried eggs and crispy bacon for a classic Southern breakfast.
- Pair it with a side of sautÃ©ed greens, such as collard greens or spinach, for a balanced meal.
- Try topping your biscuits and gravy with a sprinkle of chopped green onions or fresh parsley for added freshness and color.
“Southern Buttermilk Biscuits and Sausage Gravy is a versatile dish that lends itself well to experimentation. Don’t be afraid to get creative with your biscuit dough or try different flavors in your gravy. The possibilities are endless!”
Remember, the most important thing is to have fun and enjoy the process of creating this beloved Southern comfort food. Happy cooking!
Storing and Reheating Buttermilk Biscuits and Sausage Gravy.
To ensure the freshness and flavor of your leftover biscuits and sausage gravy, proper storage and reheating are essential. Here are some easy steps to follow:
If you find yourself with leftover biscuits and gravy, here’s how you can store them:
- Place the gravy in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator. The gravy can be refrigerated for up to 4 days.
- For the biscuits, transfer them to a separate airtight container. You can store the biscuits at room temperature for up to 2 days.
This way, you can enjoy your Southern comfort food for a few more days!
Reheating the Gravy:
When you’re ready to enjoy the leftovers, follow these easy steps to reheat the gravy:
- Gently transfer the refrigerated gravy into a microwave-safe bowl or a skillet.
- Heat the gravy slowly in the microwave or skillet until it reaches your desired temperature. Make sure to stir occasionally to prevent any hot spots.
- If the gravy has thickened during storage, you can add a splash of milk to thin it out, ensuring a creamy consistency.
Reheating the Biscuits:
To restore the flakiness and warmth of the biscuits, follow these simple steps:
- Preheat your oven to 350Â°F (175Â°C).
- Place the biscuits on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Reheat them in the oven for approximately 5 minutes or until they are warmed through and regain their freshness.
Be sure to keep an eye on the biscuits while reheating to avoid over-browning.
Now you can enjoy your delicious Southern Buttermilk Biscuits and Sausage Gravy for another delightful meal!
Serving Suggestions for Buttermilk Biscuits and Sausage Gravy.
Buttermilk biscuits and sausage gravy can be served in various ways to create a complete and satisfying Southern breakfast. Here are some serving suggestions:
1. Biscuits and Gravy Platter: Arrange freshly baked buttermilk biscuits on a platter and top them generously with creamy sausage gravy. Serve with a side of scrambled eggs and crispy bacon for a hearty Southern breakfast feast.
2. Breakfast Sandwich: Slice open a warm buttermilk biscuit and fill it with a spoonful of sausage gravy, crispy bacon, and a fried egg. This savory breakfast sandwich is portable and perfect for enjoying on the go.
3. Biscuit Breakfast Casserole: Tear up leftover buttermilk biscuits and place them in a baking dish. Pour sausage gravy over the biscuits and sprinkle shredded cheese on top. Bake until bubbly and golden for a delicious biscuit breakfast casserole.
4. Skillet Biscuits and Gravy: Cook buttermilk biscuits in a cast iron skillet until golden brown. Top them with warm sausage gravy and sprinkle freshly chopped parsley for added freshness and flavor.
“Savor the flavors of the South with these delightful serving suggestions that highlight the deliciousness of buttermilk biscuits and sausage gravy.”
Why Buttermilk Biscuits and Sausage Gravy is a Classic Southern Dish.
Buttermilk biscuits and sausage gravy is considered a classic Southern dish because of its rich history and widespread popularity in the South. The combination of flaky biscuits and creamy sausage gravy has been enjoyed by generations of Southern families.
Its simplicity and comforting flavors make it the ultimate Southern comfort food. Whether served for breakfast or brunch, this dish is a staple in Southern cuisine and embodies the warm hospitality and traditional flavors of the region.
When you think of classic Southern dishes, buttermilk biscuits and sausage gravy are sure to come to mind. The flaky, buttery biscuits and the creamy, savory gravy combine to create a delicious and satisfying meal that is loved by all.
The origins of this iconic dish can be traced back to the southern states, where buttermilk biscuits and sausage became popular staples of the regional cuisine. The biscuits are made with simple ingredients like flour, buttermilk, and butter, resulting in a light and tender texture.
The sausage gravy is made by browning ground sausage in a skillet and then creating a roux with flour and milk to thicken the gravy. The combination of the seasoned sausage and the creamy gravy adds a rich and comforting flavor that is hard to resist.
Buttermilk biscuits and sausage gravy are often enjoyed for breakfast or brunch, but they can be enjoyed at any time of the day. Whether you’re serving them to guests or enjoying a lazy weekend morning at home, this classic Southern dish is sure to impress.
“The combination of flaky biscuits and creamy sausage gravy has been enjoyed by generations of Southern families.”
Traditional Southern Recipe for Buttermilk Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
If you’re looking to recreate this classic Southern dish at home, here’s a traditional recipe to get you started:
Southern Buttermilk Biscuits and Sausage Gravy is a comforting and delicious dish that perfectly embodies the flavors of Southern cuisine. Each bite of this homemade recipe is a taste of Southern hospitality, with flaky biscuits and creamy sausage gravy that satisfy your cravings for comfort food. Whether enjoyed for breakfast, brunch, or any time of day, this classic Southern dish is sure to warm your heart and nourish your soul.
Recreating this beloved recipe in your own kitchen is a breeze, thanks to its simple ingredients and easy techniques. With just a few steps, you can whip up a hearty breakfast that will transport you to the South. Take the time to gather your ingredients, roll up your sleeves, and embrace the aroma of freshly baked biscuits and savory gravy filling your home.
Indulging in Southern Buttermilk Biscuits and Sausage Gravy is like experiencing a hug from the South. It’s a delightful combination of flavors that brings comfort and joy to your plate. So, don’t wait any longer – treat yourself to this comforting Southern dish and savor the taste of homemade goodness.
How do I make southern buttermilk biscuits and sausage gravy?
To make southern buttermilk biscuits and sausage gravy, you will need all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, butter or vegetable shortening, buttermilk, ground breakfast sausage, salt, black pepper, and milk. First, prepare the biscuits by combining the dry ingredients, cutting in the butter or shortening, and then adding the buttermilk. Roll out the dough and cut out biscuits, then bake until golden brown. For the gravy, cook the sausage, make a roux with flour and sausage drippings, and then add milk to create a creamy gravy. Serve the gravy over the biscuits for a delicious meal.
How long can I store leftover biscuits and gravy?
You can store leftover biscuits and gravy in the refrigerator. Place the gravy in an airtight container and store it for up to 4 days. The biscuits can also be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
How do I reheat biscuits and gravy?
To reheat biscuits and gravy, gently warm the gravy in a microwave or skillet until it is heated through. If the gravy has thickened, you can add a splash of milk to thin it out. For the biscuits, preheat your oven to 350Â°F and place them on a baking sheet. Heat them in the oven for about 5 minutes or until they are warmed through and their freshness is restored.
What are some serving suggestions for buttermilk biscuits and sausage gravy?
Buttermilk biscuits and sausage gravy can be served as a complete Southern breakfast. You can also pair them with scrambled eggs, bacon, or fried chicken for a heartier meal. Another option is to serve them alongside grits, hash browns, or fresh fruit for a well-rounded breakfast spread.
Why is buttermilk biscuits and sausage gravy considered a classic Southern dish?
Buttermilk biscuits and sausage gravy are considered a classic Southern dish because they reflect the rich history and widespread popularity of Southern cuisine. The combination of flaky biscuits and creamy sausage gravy has been enjoyed by generations of Southern families. The comforting flavors and simplicity of the dish make it the ultimate Southern comfort food, embodying the warm hospitality and traditional flavors of the region.
Can I make buttermilk biscuits and sausage gravy from scratch?
Yes, you can make buttermilk biscuits and sausage gravy from scratch. The recipe requires a few basic ingredients and simple techniques. By following the instructions and using chilled butter or shortening for the biscuits, and cooking the sausage and making a roux for the gravy, you can easily recreate this beloved Southern dish in your own kitchen.