Welcome to our delicious world of lemon coconut cookies! If you’re a fan of the refreshing tang of lemon paired with the tropical sweetness of coconut, you’re in for a treat. In this article, we’ll share an easy lemon coconut cookie recipe that you can make at home. These homemade lemon coconut cookies are buttery, crumbly, and topped with a mouthwatering lemon glaze. They are perfect for any occasion, from holiday cookie trays to everyday indulgence.
- Create delicious lemon coconut cookies with our easy recipe
- The cookies have a buttery, crumbly texture and are topped with a lemon glaze
- Perfect for holiday cookie trays or as a special everyday treat
- Store the cookies at room temperature or freeze them for later enjoyment
- Experiment with variations like different citrus flavors or add-ins for a unique twist
Ingredients for Lemon Coconut Cookies
To make these delicious lemon coconut cookies, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Butter: 1 cup (2 sticks), softened
- Confectioners’ sugar: 1/2 cup
- Coconut extract: 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice: 2 tablespoons
- Lemon zest: 1 tablespoon
- Sweetened shredded coconut: 1 cup
- All-purpose flour: 2 cups
- Vanilla extract: 1 teaspoon
- Salt: 1/4 teaspoon
- Milk: 2 tablespoons, for the glaze
The combination of these ingredients creates a delightful balance of flavors, with the butter providing richness, the confectioners’ sugar ensuring a tender texture, and the coconut extract enhancing the coconut flavor. The lemon juice and zest add a refreshing citrus taste, while the sweetened shredded coconut adds moisture and texture to the cookies.
Lemon Coconut Cookie Ingredients
|1 cup (2 sticks), softened
|Sweetened shredded coconut
|Milk (for the glaze)
With these simple ingredients, you’ll be able to create a batch of homemade lemon coconut cookies that are sure to impress!
Steps to Make Lemon Coconut Cookies
To make these delicious lemon coconut cookies, follow these simple steps:
- Cream the butter and sugar: In a large bowl, cream together 1 cup of softened butter and 1 cup of granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the wet ingredients: Mix in 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice and 2 teaspoons of lemon zest, along with 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1/2 teaspoon of coconut extract.
- Mix in the dry ingredients: Gradually add 2 cups of all-purpose flour and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the wet mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Roll the dough: Roll the dough into small balls, about 1 inch in diameter.
- Coat in powdered sugar: Roll each dough ball in powdered sugar until fully coated.
- Bake the cookies: Place the coated dough balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350Â°F (180Â°C) for 14-15 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned.
- Cool and glaze: Allow the cookies to cool completely on a wire rack. In the meantime, prepare a simple lemon glaze by mixing 1 cup of powdered sugar with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Dip the cooled cookies in the glaze, allowing any excess to drip off.
- Garnish and enjoy: Garnish the cookies with shredded coconut, sprinkles, or additional lemon zest for added flavor and decoration. Let the glaze set before serving.
These easy steps will guide you to create a batch of these irresistible lemon coconut cookies. The result will be a perfect balance of zesty lemon and tropical coconut flavors, with a soft and chewy texture.
Freezing and Storing Lemon Coconut Cookies
Once you’ve baked these delicious lemon coconut cookies, you’ll want to make sure they stay fresh and flavorful for as long as possible. Here are some tips for storing and freezing your homemade treats:
- Room Temperature Storage: To keep your cookies at their best, store them in an airtight container at room temperature. This will help maintain their texture and flavor. Lemon coconut cookies can be stored this way for up to 1 week.
- Iced Cookies: If your lemon coconut cookies are topped with the delightful lemon glaze, it’s best to store them in a cool place to prevent the icing from melting. A cool pantry or refrigerator will do the trick.
- Refrigerator Storage: If you prefer to keep your cookies chilled, you can store them in the refrigerator. Place them in an airtight container to prevent them from absorbing any odors. Lemon coconut cookies can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Freezing the Dough: If you’re not planning on baking all your cookies at once, you can freeze the dough for future use. Simply wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap or place it in a freezer-safe bag or container. Thaw the dough in the refrigerator and bring it to room temperature before baking.
- Freezing Baked Cookies: If you’ve already baked your lemon coconut cookies and want to freeze them, make sure they are completely cooled before storing. Place the cooled cookies in an airtight freezer-safe container or bag. Thaw the baked cookies in the refrigerator or at room temperature when you’re ready to enjoy them.
By following these storage and freezing tips, you can enjoy freshly baked lemon coconut cookies whenever you crave their delightful flavor and texture.
Variations of Lemon Coconut Cookies
If you’re looking to add a twist to the classic lemon coconut cookies, there are plenty of variations you can explore. Whether you prefer a different texture or want to experiment with alternative flavors, these variations will satisfy your taste buds.
1. Chewy Lemon Coconut Cookies
If you love cookies with a chewy texture, there are a few adjustments you can make to achieve that satisfying bite. First, consider adjusting the baking time. Reduce the baking time by a couple of minutes to keep the center of the cookie soft and chewy. You can also try adding ingredients like baking powder or cornstarch to the dough. These will help create a chewier texture by adding moisture and tenderness to the cookies.
2. Citrus Flavored Cookies
For a different citrus twist, you can experiment with lime or orange flavors in your lemon coconut cookies. Substitute the lemon juice and zest with lime or orange juice and zest to enjoy a refreshing and tangy variation of these delightful cookies. The combination of citrus flavors adds a unique brightness to the cookies, perfect for those who enjoy a citrusy kick in their baked treats.
3. Add-Ins for Extra Flavor and Texture
If you’re feeling adventurous, you can mix in additional ingredients to elevate the taste and texture of your lemon coconut cookies. Here are some popular suggestions:
- White chocolate chips: Add a creamy and sweet element to the cookies.
- Macadamia nuts: Incorporate a buttery and crunchy texture.
- Dried cranberries: Introduce a tart and chewy contrast to the cookies.
These add-ins will not only enhance the flavor but also create interesting textural variations, making each bite a delightful surprise.
Variations of Lemon Coconut Cookies
|Chewy Lemon Coconut Cookies
|Adjust the baking time or add ingredients like baking powder or cornstarch for a chewier texture.
|Citrus Flavored Cookies
|Experiment with lime or orange juice and zest for a refreshing twist on the classic lemon coconut cookies.
|Mix in white chocolate chips, macadamia nuts, or dried cranberries for added flavor and texture.
Lemon Coconut Cookies vs. Other Lemon Cookies
Lemon coconut cookies offer a unique twist compared to other lemon cookies. The combination of zesty lemon and tropical coconut creates a refreshing and delightful flavor profile. These cookies have a buttery and crumbly texture that is reminiscent of shortbread, giving them a melt-in-your-mouth experience.
While there are several popular lemon cookie variations, such as lemon crinkle cookies, lemon coconut cookies stand out with their distinct flavor combination. The addition of sweetened shredded coconut adds both flavor and moisture to the cookies, making them even more irresistible.
If you’re a fan of coconut and love the bright and citrusy taste of lemon, then lemon coconut cookies are the perfect treat for you. Indulge in the tropical sweetness and tangy notes of these cookies that will transport you to a sunny paradise with every bite.
Comparing Lemon Coconut Cookies and Lemon Crinkle Cookies
Lemon coconut cookies and lemon crinkle cookies have their own unique characteristics. Here’s a comparison between the two:
|Lemon Coconut Cookies
|Lemon Crinkle Cookies
|Distinct flavor combination of lemon and coconut
|Strong lemon flavor with a soft and crinkled texture
|Buttery and crumbly texture reminiscent of shortbread
|Soft and chewy texture with a powdered sugar coating
|Coconut adds moisture and enhances the taste
|No coconut flavor or addition
|Perfect blend of tropical and citrus flavors
|Intense lemon flavor
While both cookies offer a delightful lemony experience, lemon coconut cookies stand out with their tropical twist and unique texture. The addition of coconut adds a layer of complexity and moistness to the cookies, making them a must-try for coconut lovers.
So, whether you’re a fan of the classic lemon crinkle cookies or looking for a new flavor adventure, give lemon coconut cookies a try and discover the perfect harmony between citrus and coconut.
Lemon coconut cookies are a delightful and irresistible treat that will satisfy your cravings for a perfect combination of flavors. With their buttery and crumbly texture, these cookies offer a mouthwatering experience that you won’t be able to resist.
Whether you’re looking for a sweet treat to brighten up your holiday cookie tray or simply want to indulge in a delicious everyday cookie, lemon coconut cookies are a fantastic choice. The flavors of zesty lemon and tropical coconut blend harmoniously to create a taste sensation that will leave you wanting more.
What makes these cookies truly special is their simplicity. With just a few basic ingredients and a quick chilling time, you can easily whip up a batch of the best lemon coconut cookies in no time. The combination of tangy lemon juice and zest, creamy butter, and sweet shredded coconut creates a cookie that is bursting with flavor.
So, why wait? Grab your ingredients and get ready to bake a batch of these delicious lemon coconut cookies. Whether you’re enjoying them with a cup of tea, sharing them with friends and family, or treating yourself to a moment of pure bliss, these cookies are guaranteed to bring a smile to your face. Indulge in the perfect balance of flavors and enjoy the best lemon coconut cookies you’ve ever tasted.
What is the recipe for Lemon Coconut Cookies?
The recipe for Lemon Coconut Cookies involves a dough made with butter, confectioners’ sugar, coconut extract, lemon juice and zest, sweetened shredded coconut, all-purpose flour, vanilla extract, and salt. The dough is rolled into balls, coated with powdered sugar, and baked until lightly browned.
How do I make Lemon Coconut Cookies?
To make Lemon Coconut Cookies, start by creaming the butter and sugar together. Then, add the wet ingredients such as the lemon juice and zest. Mix in the dry ingredients until just combined. Roll the dough into balls, coat them with powdered sugar, and bake at 350Â°F for 14-15 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool before adding the lemon glaze and any desired garnishes.
How should I store Lemon Coconut Cookies?
Lemon Coconut Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. If iced, they should be stored in a cool place to prevent the icing from melting. The cookies can also be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. To freeze the cookies, either freeze the dough or the baked cookies and thaw as needed.
Can I make variations of Lemon Coconut Cookies?
Yes, there are several variations you can try with Lemon Coconut Cookies. You can adjust the baking time or add ingredients like baking powder or cornstarch for a chewier texture. Additionally, you can experiment with different citrus flavors such as lime or orange instead of lemon. Mix-ins like white chocolate chips, macadamia nuts, or dried cranberries can also be added for a unique twist.
How do Lemon Coconut Cookies differ from other lemon cookies?
Lemon Coconut Cookies have a distinct flavor and texture compared to other lemon cookies. The combination of lemon and coconut creates a tropical and refreshing taste, while the sweetened shredded coconut adds moisture and texture. Lemon Coconut Cookies have a crumbly texture similar to shortbread, which sets them apart from other lemon cookies like lemon crinkle cookies.